Mark is a partner and the head of the sports team.
Over the past twenty years, Mark has advised thousands of athletes on their sporting contracts, image rights, and endorsement deals. As a noted insolvency expert, he has also advised nearly sixty football and rugby clubs in insolvencies and restructurings.
He is also an arbitrator at the Court of Arbitration for Sport, where he has been selected to hear nearly two hundred cases. As a result of his experience and reputation as an arbitrator, he was selected to the CAS ad-hoc committee for the 2010 and 2014 Commonwealth Games. He was also selected as one of twelve arbitrators to the ad-hoc panel for the 2016 Summer Olympics.
Mark regularly lectures at universities and conferences all over the world, including London, New York, Madrid, Rome, and Timisoara. He is also a trustee of the James Milner Foundation, an editorial board member at LawInSport, the chair of the pro-manchester Sports Industry Group, a member of the National Anti-doping Panel, and was previously a non-executive director at the Manchester Football Association.
His work includes:
- Acting for players' unions and their members
- Acting for football clubs in insolvencies and restructurings
- Acting for footballers and clubs on international disputes, including on leading cases involving training compensation, Article 17, and other football-related issues
- Successfully defending athletes against doping charges
- Advising footballers on cross-border investment deals
- Acting on domestic and international transfers, employment contracts, and image rights deals
- Working with athletes to establish charitable foundations and with football clubs on establishing community schemes